Saturday, July 19, 2008

Getting to Know you Contest Questionnaire

From http://knittyotter.typepad.com/ for a great prize! And becuase it's fun. :)

1.) How long have you been knitting?

I learned to knit in Jan 04, the month my daughter Valerie was born. I got a bee in my bonnet and said I want to knit, bought the Stitch and Bitch book and cast on. Then my needles were pretty much retired until she was 1! Learning to knit with an infant around, forget it. ;) It's been non-stop since 2005!

2.) How long have you been knitting socks?

I took my first sock class December 05 and finished them in January. I took a 2 on 1 class and didn't like it but finished. The next pair I used DPNs and there has been NO looking back since!!

3.) What do you do with a problem like Maria?

Teach her to knit so she'll stay out of trouble.

4.) What is your all time favorite sock yarn?

That's actually not too tough for me. Blue Moon Fiberarts Socks That Rock. I learned to knit from a wonderful lady, Karen, and she was making the Fair Isle Bobble Sock and I was absolutely gobsmacked. It was so gorgeous, so intricate. I had to have it!! I went to my first Stitches West in 2006 and ran, seriously no walking to The Fold's booth and bought the kit. I'd NEVER spent that much money for a pair of socks. I think it was 60 bucks all said and done. But I had the most amazing time knitting them. I love them with the bottom of my little heart. :D

5.) Toe Up or Cuff Down?

I'm a cuff down, gusset kinda girl through and through. Nothing like a little Partridge Eye pattern on a heel flap!

6.) What's your favorite color (this week or for all time)? Do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?

Color. I love it all. I seem to go through Seasonal phases. I am leaning more towards subdued colorways now. Hmm color though! Gotta have it.

7.) Do you have a pet(s)?

Loki my Panamanian Kitty. I adopted him when I was living in Panama City Panama. This cat has gone from Panama to Miami to Denver to Milwaukee with me. He's my first baby.

8.) Babies: Oven Roasted or Barbecued?

Um..ya I pass.

9.) Besides socks what is your favorite type of thing to knit?
I'm really digging the whole dishrag thing. Very fun, loud colors and portable knitting..sounds alot like socks, yes?

10.) What's your favorite scent?

I like fall smells..spices, pumpkin etc.

11.) What music are you really loving right now? Like a song or a band?

Music. I think I'm lovin Endless Summer by the Beach Boys. It IS the summer album. I downloaded it from iTunes and it's become the official 4th generation for our family; 8 track, cassette, CD, MP3. :)

12.) How many pairs of socks have you hand knit?

Urp..I'm supposed to know this? Hmm...10 or so.

13.) What's your favorite treat? Salty or Sweet?

Both. Everytime I get on a sweet kick I have to top it off with something salty and vice versa!

14.) What was the most interesting thing you smelled yesterday. Not good or bad necessarily, just the thing that stuck out most so that you actually took notice of it.

Green Bamboo tart from Yankee Candle. It was amazing.

15.) Needles - DPN's: Wooden, metal or plastic?

Hmm I like both. I like metal when it's a fast easy pattern. For wood, I love Crystal Palace Bamboos. They are firmer than Clovers and I don't end up warping them.

16.) What is your favorite sock pattern that you've knit? What do you recommend?

Hmm.. Monkey or Embossed Leaves... I think I'd recomment Monkey for newer knitters and Embossed leaves for those who've done a few patterned sock.

17.) The last Question: If you were stuck on a deserted island who would you want with you, what knitting would you want with you and would you ever want to leave?

Cat, my friend and fellow knitter. We could talk about knitting, like we do all the time.. I'd want a huge pile of sock yarn, patterns and needles. If I had comfortable accomodations and my laptop with connectivity, I'd be golden. I could sit around and watch on demand Netflix movies and order new yarn online!