Thursday, February 28, 2008

Creativity, Connection and Cynicism

These things have been swirling around in my head.
creating.
I've done it my entire life. I've always enjoyed crafting and making things. I honestly can't imagine life without this. What do other people DO with their time? It's a release for me to create something that I think is beautiful or useful. I want to leave a mark on this world in someway and goodness knows I'm not going to find a cure for cancer or lead the whole world to peace..but I might be able to leave my family a few items they will love and treasure for years to come.

connection and cynicism

I bill myself as a cynic and am the majority of the time. I hate lovey dovey kinda stuff and sweet just makes me smirk..but every now and again the cynic in me has to shut up. One of the things that does this, is the connection I feel every time I pick up a needle of any sort and create. I feel the connection from my hands running back through my grandmothers' hands and their mothers' hands etc. I feel it. I imagine women sitting with their embroidery hoops in medieval times stitching samplers.
It's there.
The connection.
It's real and I'm thankful for it.

I've been busy stitching and knitting some as well, but my laptop is still sick. :P It went to Compaq, came back and is shipping BACK to them as we speak. What a PITA. I have an older desk top that I can still check mail and read blogs, but I can't work with photos or update my iPod. Seriously. NO iPod updates. Do you have any idea how crappy that is? Erg. I'm hoping it will be back and functional in the next week. I am glad I have a fall back, but DAMN I want my laptop!!!

Thanks for all the sweet thoughts and kind words on my hands! Not having the laptop has been good for my wrists as well as taking a wee break from knitting. I finished up the hat I was working on and have cast on a pair of socks tonight, so we'll see how they feel after a few days. :) Luckily the cross stitching doesn't seem to be effecting them at all. I bought a stand for my hoop and my wrists are pain free. Yay!

I've also been wondering about how other people blog. Do you tell all about your process or just your successes or spectacular failures? When I've finished a great project and am looking around for a new one, it takes me so much longer to find what I want. It drives me crazy! I have a skein of Euroflax that I still can't figure out what to do with. I tried to make the everlasting bagstopper with it. I didn't get far, there are to many K2Togs for my wrists to handle right now. So it went back to marinate in the stash. I then remembered my basic little let's learn crochet book had a crochet version which would be much easier and much faster. I cast on and it seemed to be going well, but then I realized that I should have used a stitch marker and the previous rows were off. So again Frog. Again banished back to the stash. Most of the time I think I should blog about it, but it's come and gone and I forget. :)

Forgive me for rambling!!