Saturday, June 28, 2008

No, I haven't been carried off by the Skeeters

Obviously the weather/environment has some seriously issues with the midwest! The skeeters are ridiculous this year after the super wet Spring we had! I live for this time of year, it is so beautiful because of the aforementioned wet Spring. Flowers are out of control, the lilacs were so lush and thick and my hostas are going to take over my entire bed! But now because of the mosquitoes I honestly can't go outside. I am allergic to mosquitoes and my bites blow up like a balloon. A single bite can get the size of the circumference of a soda can. And they itch like a son of a bitch! I usually end up with scabs and ...well ANYWAY, I'm inside and not to happy about it. :)

I've been doing two projects, the Berlin Muster pattern for the SKP2008 group and some crochet amigurumi.

The Berlin Muster is beautiful. A really challenging lace pattern where the number in the repeats shifts constantly so it requires watching and pretty much can't be memorized.


I'm using Louet Gems for the first time and love it. The Price? A total bonus! It's very reasonable. It's springy and tightly spun. I've finally figured out that's exactly what I like in a sock yarn.

The pair is supposed to be done by July 1st..and well that just ain't happening. I enjoyed it for awhile, but then realized it was becoming a job hanging over my head. Knitting is for fun and enjoyment, darn it, so I've put it aside to rest. I will return to finish the second, but just don't have a desire to work on it anymore.


Seriously, how CUTE are they??


The Amigurumi are very fun and addictive. I bought the Amigurmi World: Seriously Cute Crochet by Ana Paula Rimoli If you are interested in trying out Amigurumi or are an old hand at it, take a look at this book. The designs are simple and quick, good stuff!

Unfortunately I made it into work, silly me. My youngest daughter had a birthday party to go to and I figured I could just whip out a handful of things for a present. Um, nope. Didn't work, we ended up at the store the day of the party.

Again, I don't do well with 'HAVE TO' associated with my knitting. There are enough things in life I 'HAVE TO' do that I don't enjoy, why lump knitting into that pile!

I've now cast on a pair of Monkeys (my third pair) with some lovely Shi Bui in fuscia and lime green called Orchid. I've been fighting with this yarn for the last year. I bought it last summer at Stitches Midwest and have put it through the beginning of at least 4 different socks. The color repeats are very short and nothing really looked good, so I fell back on a favorite. It's spiraling but it's still nice. I'm on the foot of the first sock.

The Shibui sock yarn is great. It's tightly spun and has great resilience. I, as mentioned, have frogged it more times than I can count and it's stood up to it all. It's, again!, tightly wound and very springy. They have some absolutely amazing colorways! If you see some of it, definitely try it out.

Now I have something else spinning in my head. I want a light sweater. I have a pile of Elspeth Silky Tweed that was going to be one of the patterns out one of Elspeth Lavold's books. I'm starting to doubt just how much I would wear it and I've fallen in love with the Drawstring Raglan out of the summer 08 Interweave Knits.


I found two that were knit using the Silky Tweed on Ravelry and they look lovely. It is a discontinued yarn, so I'm trying to scrounge up a few more colors since I only have one. Gotta love the Trade/Sell stash pages!

Ravelry? Seriously it's a knitter's god send!

Sorry for no picts of the Monkeys but I had an itch to blog so figured I'd hop to it!

Thank you so much for all the well wishes and comments on my surgery. I'm pretty much recovered and feel amazing. I stand straighter and my back doesn't hurt like it used to. If you or anyone you know is debating whether or not to have a reduction, seriously go for it. Feel free to email me if you have any questions about it!!