Friday, February 9, 2007

Ramblings and 2 socks..

I've been thinking about how I approach knitting and wish in some ways I could be different. I believe, for me, the draw to knitting is the repetitiveness of the stitching. The fact it's only made with one stitch (the knit stitch from the front and the back - purl). It calms me. Helps me find my center. Structure can be a good thing.

But, as they say, too much of a good things isn't necessarily good. (Who are they anyway. Know it all's..)

I find myself locked into rigidity with my knitting 'queue'. It drives me nuts. I want a sweater for myself. I started The Perfect Sweater and well, I am not enjoying it. Period. I set it down and haven't picked it up since early Dec 06. It's so boring. It's SS and it makes me crazy. The yarn is ok, (Cascade 220) and I believe I will LIKE this sweater. As in, I will wear it and enjoy having it. But there really isn't any fun in the making. And isn't that why we knit? Fun? Hell I could buy a sweater (yes I know. Please don't throw stones at me for saying that in a Knitting Blog) for less pain. So it sits. On the needles. Mocking me and making me feel inadequate!

I've always been pretty monogamous in my knitting. I start something, I finish it. Pretty much one thing on the needles and that's it. I feel strange if I abandon anything in mid-stream. Why? Since childhood I've been an avid crafter; painting, stenciling, jewlery making, crocheting, scrapbooking, flower arranging, sewing. But everything was on a light level. I had incomplete projects scattered everywhere. I had great intentions, but never seemed to come through. There are boxes full of 'craft crap' in the basement to prove it.

Then I found knitting and it changed how I feel about things forever. Sounds drastic, doesn't it? But if you've made it this far into this post, I bet you feel similar. I have always been a giver, and knitting has given me another outlet for this. Yet I'd like some hand knit items for myself! So far I have 1 pair of socks, 3 felted bags and a scarf for me. That's out of amost 3 year of knitting. I'm hoping that this year, 2007, will give ME more handknits! Which is why that stupid 'Perfect Sweater' is mocking me. Maybe I'll move it close to my knitting chair and will get a few rows done on it every now and again.

Anyway, on to knitting pictures!


The minute they were off the needles, they went on her feet. Too cute. I'm glad she likes them! This was my first attempt using the Yarn Harlot's Sock Recipe. I've created felted bags and scarves without a pattern but I've always used one for Socks. I love the Charlene Schurch book Sensational Knitted Socks. But this time I did it all without a pattern, and you know what? I got it. I finally get it and think I could manage to make a sock for anyone with any yarn. Wohoo! I love it when I understand what I'm doing and not just following directions. It takes me awhile, but eventually I get there!

Val's Socks
Specs:
Pattern: Sock Recipe, Yarn Harlot (Size 8 Toddler)
Yarn: 1 hank of unknown sock yarn
Needles: size 1 DPNs, Clovers
Started: February 4, 2007
Finished: February 7, 2007

As for getting it, I did NOT get the Shifting Sands pattern by Grumperina. I had earmarked some Malabrigo for it and now that it's freezing here in Wisconisin I could use a new scarf. So I cast on. And frogged. Cast on. Ripped. Cast on. Cursed. Ripped. I honestly cast this stupid scarf on more than 6 times over the last week. (Remember the Motto: Yarn WILL Not defeat me, Damn it!) Yesterday I sat down and tackled it one more time. That's when I realized something.

I've been sick. Really sick. I've had a cold, then a sinus infection and overall ickies since last Thursday. Due to the ickies and various cold meds, I was plain out it! Now that I'm feeling better and less medicated I 'get' it. It's not a difficult pattern, but it requires cabling without a cable needle. Ok, doesn't require but you are nuts if you try to use one since there are over 1,000 cables in the scarf. It's a great pattern, as all ofGrumperina's patterns are. And is turning out luscious in the Malabrigo. Swiped that idea from brooklyntweed!



Now I'm off to work on MY scarf!!